Friday, June 8, 2012

Shane Langan

Good interview with Shane Langan.writer/performer with Dublin comedy team Diet of Worms in Q&A form by Una Mullally in today's Irish Times- includes some good music and comedy recommendations.(edited)

What are you reading?
I’m the slowest reader in the history of slow readers, so I’m embarrassed to say what I’m currently reading, just in case someone I know sees this and remembers me talking about reading this book ages and ages ago. But yes, I am still reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. Kavalier & Clay is a truly incredible book though and so, if it does indeed end up being the book that I slowly read between now and the day that I die, it wouldn’t be that bad. I have made moves to counteract this problem in recent years though – to evolve. I’ve taken to listening to audiobooks, which allows me to consume books at a more reasonable rate (as I walk across town or do the hoovering). I’m currently listening to the audiobook of When You Are Engulfed In Flames by David Sedaris. It’s absolutely hilarious.
Last film you saw and your verdict?I haven’t been to the cinema in ages, but the last film I saw on DVD was Beginners with Ewan McGregor and Christopher Plummer. Nothing makes me sadder than old age, I think. It’s my emotional Kryptonite. So this one upset me a little bit. I really enjoyed it though.
What track should we listen to right now?I recently bought Jape’s album ‘Ocean of Frequency’, which is wonderful, and the track ‘Scorpio’ has stayed in and around my head ever since.
Which boxset/TV series do you have on the go at the moment?I’m currently, very belatedly making my way through The Office, the US one. I have Community all ready to go when I’m done with that and I’m also keeping up to date with Veep and Mad Men as I go.
Last gig/concert you went to and your verdict?I went to Stewart Lee at Vicar Street last month. It’s sometimes difficult to talk about Stewart Lee without sounding like a bit of a knob or a comedy snob. It’s not hyperbole to say that nobody really does stand-up like him. It takes a certain level of concentration and trust to enjoy it fully. That’s just the nature of his act. He is a singular, properly original performer and the greatest comedian I’ve ever seen. As with the other times I’ve seen him, I loved every minute of it.
And finally, if you check out one comedian this month, make it…Don’t just check out one. Check out loads. Edinburgh is on the horizon so there will be lots of fantastic comedians starting to preview their shows soon. It’s really exciting to see comedians put shows together and you can often see these works in progress for nothing or next to it. Keep an eye out for the likes of Conor O’Toole and A Betrayal of Penguins as they get ready for the Fringe. Also, the excellent 10 Days in Dublin festival will be on in July and there will be lots of great comedy on show there.

1 comment:

  1. New Diet Taps into Innovative Plan to Help Dieters Get Rid Of 15 Pounds within Only 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete