Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Laura Collins

I came across the sublime voice of Laura Collins whilst listening to RTE Lyric FM last night, in particular the radio show 'The Blue of the Night' which is on from 10pm-1am every night. Carl Corcoran (Mondays-Thursday) serves up a great selection of music to relax you in to inevitable slumber at that time. The track played last night was Laura Collins recording of Wichita Lineman written by Jimmy Webb but first recorded by the great Glen Campbell. I had friend way back when we were teenagers who loved Glen Campbell and played his tape back to back in her car. At the time I thought it was pretty weird-we were seventeen for god's sake and I was into The Jam. But with the benefit of time I have come round to the velvety tones of ole Glen, and Wichita Lineman is one of my favourites.



Meanwhile, back to Laura Collins. She's clasically trained but turned to Jazz finding choral singing too restrained and so studied Jazz performance in London's Guildhall Music school. The track is from an album called Baltimore Oriole. The track can be listened to here. I hope you like it as much as I do. http://www.myspace.com/lauracollinsmusic/music/songs/wichita-lineman-70802644



No comments:

Post a Comment