There was a nice article in the Metro Herald today by Chloe Scott on the upsurge in burrito restaurants in Dublin. She had some good tips on marinades and cuts of steak to use but it was the burrito bars that caught my eye. People can be very particular about what makes a good burrito.
The three mentioned in the article were Boojum, Saburritos and Burritos and Blues but you may have your own faves. Here is a run down of where you can start your burrito trail.
1. Pablo Picante has branches at 131 Baggot Street, D2 and also at 4 Clarendon Market, D2. It has won the Santa Rita People's Choice Award and also entertainment.ie's 'Best Burrito in Dublin 2010'.
Prices €4.50- €6.50.
2. Burritos and Blues is on Wexford Street, Lower Mayor Street in the IFSC and the newly opened 28 Sth. Anne Street. Generous with student voucher handouts the prices range from €4.15-€7.00.
3. Boojum is tucked down Millenium Walkway behind the Jervis Centre. It's one of the nicer looking restaurants and was Ireland's first burrito bar, run by husband and wife team John and Karen. Burritos range from €5.95-€6.45.
4. Little Ass Burrito Bar on Dawson Street is relatively new on the scene. It's a funky little corner cafe with limited seating but fine for grab and go. Prices €6.80 to €7.50, or any mini classic at €2 off.
5. Tolteca Mexican Grill is on Suffolk Street.Their burritos range from €6.50-€7.75 but they also have happy hours and meal deals. prices from €6.50-€7.75.
6. Mama's Revenge is on Leinster Street South and 80 Thomas Street near Christchurch. Not very welcoming looking from the outside, it has however had good reports from US visitors.
7. Azteca is on Lord Edward Street up past Dublin Castle and although a restaurant, it does take away as well. It is has a Mexican chef and the burritos are €7-€7.50.
8. Saburritos is on North Earl Street, in the Epicurean Food Hall and with two new branches in Liffey Valley and Pavilions.
On a similar note, but not of the cheap and quick take-away kind, Bite in South Frederick Street had this great picture of fish tacos from their lunch menu for €11.95 on their Facebook page on Saturday.
Happy burrito tasting everyone!
(If you're really into burritos in a big way then take a visit over to hellyeahburritos.wordpress.com "Finding Dublin's best burrito so you don't have to".)