This year was one of the first that I did not go down the path of researching recommended summer holiday reads because, shock and horror, I didn't take a summer holiday. Two mini-breaks replaced it with a few days exploring unvisited places on our own green isle which were sightseeeing rather than sun-lounge reading experiences and then a few days with house guests over from Australia which (oh thank the Lord!!) coincided with our heatwave.
But most summer read recommendations are always frustratingly too late for me. If you holiday end of June/start of July then UK newspaper columns emerging in late July when their schools break up are of no use to Irish readers wishing to make purchases to take abroad with them. Rant aside, the bestseller list week ending July 27th just published gives plenty of reading ideas for the month ahead even if it is just weekend reading in the garden or, worst scenario, in your favourite chair while it lashes rain outside.
Bestsellers Ireland - wk ending July 27th.
1. Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
2. The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith
3. The Casual Vacancy - JK Rowling
4. The Racketeer - John Grisham
5. Things We Never Say - Sheila O'Flanagan
6. The Bat - Jo Nesbo
7. And the Mountains Echoed - Khaled Hosseini
8. Transatlantic - Colum McCann
9. Inferno - Dan Brown
10. Unseen - Karin Slaughter
11. The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
12. One Hundred Names - Cecelia Ahern
13. Guilty Wives - James Patterson
14. The Hundred Year Old Man ... -Jonas Jonasson
15. I Wished For You - Amy Huberman
16. Revenge Wears Prada - Lauren Weisberger
17. The Magdalen - Marita Conlon-McKenna
18. Mad About You - Sinead Moriarty
19. Second Honeymoon - James Patterson
20. Hunger: The Autobiography- Sean Kelly
(21. The Spinning Heart - Donal Ryan)