Monday, May 12, 2014

"Oh me oh my!" The Crying of Lot 49 - Reading Challenge

1001 Books describes Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 as "The blueprint for a generation of clever-clever novels that combine highbrow and pop cultural sensibilities, this is the one with which to start."

It's clever-clever alright and open to many interpretations, no doubt a favourite among university professors teaching post-modernist American literature. Having done my time with Joyce's Ulysses, Flann O'Brien's At Swim Two Birds and Jorge Luis Borges, this was like a return to those reading experiences of not quite knowing if it was ever going to fall into place.


Reminding me of the Michael Douglas film The Game as the tale progressed and the question of the puzzle's validity is called into question I'm not sure if on finishing it I am any more enlightened.


Certainly of its time with LSD references and Beatles-like band members, to have written this clever and enigmatic novel at just twenty-nine shows his brilliant and playful mind. One to add to the list if you are studying PoMo Lit,but maybe not to read for pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment